Health and Wellbeing Coach
Health Coaching is a service offered to help create lasting change to improve a person’s well-being and overall health.
It is a weekly/biweekly series of 45-minute sessions, usually 5 in total with a follow up session after 1 month and 6 months, designed to work through lifestyle changes, develop the skills and take control of your own health.
Health coaching is not about giving advice on how to improve your health.
People often have already received advice on how to make healthy changes in their life. They already know what changes to make, but circumstances make these changes difficult to start or keep up.
That’s where health coaching comes in. It helps to increase motivation, introduce healthy behaviours, and develop ways of living a healthier life in a way that works for you.
What Can I Help With?
You may want to lower your weight due to health concerns or simply to feel more comfortable in their body. I will work with you to explore ideas, plan and put into action changes which are realistic and long lasting.
A healthier diet can help manage health conditions and reduce risk of future ill health. We work together to identify what the reasons are behind a less healthy diet and find healthier alternatives.
More active lifestyle/exercise
Increasing activity can help improve quality of life, health, and wellbeing. However, this can be difficult if you have a sedentary job, mobility issues or simply do not like physical activity. Health coaching helps you to look at increasing activity in your life in a way that suits them.
Reducing stress and low mood
Physical and mental health is interlinked, and difficulty in one area can often have an impact on the other. I can help you identify tools and activities which may help to improve your psychological well-being.
Managing Health Conditions (Diabetes, Cardiovascular Disease, Stroke, Hypertension)
Lifestyle can have a dramatic impact on pre-existing health conditions. People who have received health advice for a condition but struggle to integrate this into their life may benefit from health coaching.
What a health coaching session may look like?
- Each session is tailored to the needs of the individual. It is a one-to-one session focussed on supporting you to achieve your health goals.
- Session 1 Getting to know you, what is important to you and what you would like to achieve. What supports and challenges you have in your life.
- Session 2 Review the last session. What worked and what got in your way. Identify your motivators and benefits of making the changes.
- Session 3 Review last session, building confidence and resilience and empower with tools and strategies to change your behaviours.
- Session 4 Looking at what can trigger relapses in behaviour and planning for relapse.
- Session 5 Session following a month of independent behaviour management, discussing what went well and what was difficult.
- Session 6 1-month follow-up to see what has worked for you and discuss plans going forward.
- Session 7 6-month follow-up to see what has worked for you and discuss plans going forward.
How Do I Access Coaching?
You can book an initial appointment when visiting your surgery OR ask your clinician to refer you OR you can self-refer OR you can phone the surgery.
If you don’t wish to proceed, that’s OK—but if you feel coaching will be helpful, please get in touch to arrange your appointment.
Please note: Health & Wellbeing Coach leaflets are also available at your surgery should you wish to get hold of.